Translate

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Is it Ok to take your young child to a late night movie?

I've thought about this a lot since I've become a mom, is it ok to take young children to see adult movies late at night? When I first started dating my boyfriend we used to see late night movies all the time, I think the staff at the local movie theater probably knew us by name because we were there virtually every night. I never would see young kids at the movies though, I just assumed it was something people didn't do.

When I had my daughter over a year ago it was hard for us to get out. I would be exhausted from breastfeeding nearly every 2 hours and wasn't getting much sleep, and I was too afraid to leave her alone. I remember once my mother offered to watch Milania when she was a little over a month old so my boyfriend and I could go out to eat we were gone maybe 2 hours but I could remember calling every 15 minutes or checking my phone to make sure everything was ok, it was awful.

My boyfriend used to joke and say let's take Milania to the movie's she is only 3 months old she'll sleep the whole time, and I would say, "Are you kidding? Who does that, that's rude, suppose she starts crying it will interrupt the movie and everyone else?" I just didn't think people did that, until last month when the Colorado shooting occured and I found out a 3 month old baby had be injured, among other kids. When I heard about it instantly my heart dropped, I felt sad for all the victims of the Colorado shooting but what stung the most is that there WAS kids there and they WERE injured.

I wondered, why there was kids at a midnight movie not because I'm judging anyone's parenting, I know how hard it is to be a new parent and to never get to do anything. I just hate that kids were there because I know had they stayed home they wouldn't have had to go through something so traumatic and they would be safe. 

The reason I'm posting this today is because last night my mom babysat our daughter so we could go see a movie, the movie was at 9:05 pm and there was a family that brought their 3 year old son with them. This was the first time I've ever seen that happen, and my boyfriend asked me, "Why would anyone bring their 3 year old to a late night movie?" I couldn't answer him, "I don't know." I will be completely honest having that little boy there was a little bit distracting. The movie was PG-13 but the language was iffy and there was A LOT of violence, that wasn't the distracting part though the movie was over 2 hours long and half way through the little boy started crying because he was tired.

At first it wasn't very loud but 20 minutes later it was a full on cry, it was hard to focus with him crying, part of me wanted to go over there and comfort him and tell him it would be ok. I wanted to tell him to relax and just let his little eyes close and fall asleep, I guess it was the mother in me. Obviously I didn't do that, but the other part of me wanted me to ask his parents if they could take him outside until he calmed down because his crying was disturbing my much needed date night with my boyfriend. 

Again I did nothing I just sat there and tried to ignore it. I'm not judging people who do, do this. I understand what it's like to be a mother and not get time to yourself. I just don't know if I think I could do it, I would be too worried about my child bothering others, or getting up and running around. And after hearing about the Colorado shooting I don't think I want to take my daughter to even a Disney movie past 4 pm. It's a scary world out there, 2 years ago a man was stabbed a during a late night movie at movie theater across town for answering his cell phone, after another man asked him to "get off the phone" when the man refused, the other man stabbed him.

I just don't think I could do it personally. So I leave it open for public debate, is it ok to take young children to late night movies? I would love to hear what others thing so please feel free to comment on this post.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment